17 July 2011

The Best Liquid Eyeliners Around:





I love my liquid eyeliner, the blacker the better! From day to night it creates a finish on your eyes which can be as dramatic or understated as you like depending on how thick or thin you apply your line. I almost feel like my face isn't finished if I'm not wearing eyeliner, so the right liquid liner is of high importance to me! I recently went on a quest to discover the perfect, most durable, easy to apply shade of black liquid liner. I've divided the best of my findings into 3 types: brush & bottle, pen and pot. Trust me... Using liquid eyeliner is easier than it looks- you just need to find the right one!

So here we have Makeup Marple's handpicked selection of the best of the black:






YSL l'eyeliner noir- the black eyeliner
Once you get used to the super fine brush, which I found a little tricky to manouvere in the beginning, this liquid liner truly is a dream! From it's perfect shade of deep, true black, to it's precision and longevity. It not only lasts all day but stays put too and is easily removed without scrubbing.
This is the liquid liner that ticks all the boxes!
£22

Rating: 9/10









Estee Lauder Double Wear, Zero Smudge Liquid Liner
Finally, a product that does exactly what it says on the bottle! This liner is quick and easy to apply thanks to the shape of the brush and is all about zero smudging as the name suggests.... A true shade of black (you would be surprised how many brands claim to be 'black' but are in my opinion more of a charcoal or brownish- black or just not quite black!) The staying power is great, however it requires some hardcore eye makeup remover plus a little too much scrubbing to remove it.

Rating: 8/10







YSL Easy Liner for Eyes
This liner pen reminds me of a calligraphy pen, which can easily create a beautiful line.
However, it has 2 major downfalls:
1. The colour- which is supposed to be black, but in my opinion just not black enough! It comes out as more of a translucent charcoal colour.
2. Like most liner pens, it seems to run out far too quickly for it's price.
£17

Rating: 5/10




MAC Penultimate Liquid Liner, rapid black

MAC's liquid liner pen is more of a felt tip marker and again very easy to use to create a precise line. The colour is a lot stronger than the YSL and lasts all day but again the product seems to run out too quick. Penultimate liner would be great for someone who is new to liquid liner as the shape of the pen and brush is easy to use even if your hand is a little unsteady.
£14

Rating: 7.5/10





Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner, black ink
As far as liquid liners in a pot are concerned this one is my favourite! With it's gel consistency it glides on so easily to create a beautiful line that lasts all day long. I bought mine as a travel duo set in flight which consisted of the 'black ink' plus 'sepia ink' (which is a nice alternative to black for day wear only) and a mini brush to apply it with. Gotta love inflight makeup shopping, I say it's therapy to alleviate my silly fear of flying!! My only disappointment was that it does seem to dry out a little too quickly in the pot. Top tip: use a small brow angle brush as opposed to a liner brush to create a more precise line.
£15.50

Rating: 9/10







MAC Fluid Line, blacktrack
Easy to apply with the gel consistency, I find it doesn't really stay put all day and isn't quite black enough. However, it does make up for these downfalls (no pun intended!) with the variety of colours that are available. Add a splash of summer colour with a shade such as 'macro violet' which looks great on blue or green eyes.
£13.50

Rating: 7/10






Ms Minogue shows us exactly how to work the liquid liner!!


Top 3 favourites:
YSL l'eyeliner noir
Estee Lauder Double Wear Zero Smudge
Bobbi Brown Long Wear Gel Liner

MX

3 comments:

  1. i'm still yet to find a blacker black than my YSL favourite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly recommend te YSL- I'm still searching for a replacement! I didn't mind the MAC penultimate, however it didn't last very long, almost felt like it ran out of ink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im glad you found it helpful! Thanks Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete